Copyright © 2013 All rights reserved. The Euterpe Music Club of Greensboro, NC.
Greensboro, North Carolina
Founded October 6, 1889 on the campus of Greensboro Female College (now Greensboro College) the Euterpe Club is the oldest federated music club in continuous existence in the Southern United States.
The Club is dedicated to the study and practice of the best in music, past and present, and the development of talent and music appreciation in the community.
Membership was originally limited to 10 women and the group called themselves the Coney Club referenced in the book of Proverbs 30:26 speaking of a species of birds which build their nests on the rocks. Apparently members were interested in building a club with a strong foundation.
The club name was changed to the Euterpe Club honoring the muse of lyric poetry who, “delights with the concord of sweet sounds.” Club members paid an annual fee of one dollar and refreshments were not served.
The earliest program for the club is dated December 26, 1889 and the first year book
was assembled for 1900-
The Club now accepts men as well as women who have an interest in music appreciation.
Club members wanted to have a greater influence in developing musical talent and formed the Euterpe Foundation in 1961 to providing scholarships to worthy students at Greensboro College, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and Guilford College. Applicants for scholarships must have a connection to Greensboro, be majoring in music, and now include other schools wherever students are enrolled.
On April 28, 2013 the club voted to insert the word ‘Music’ into the name of the club in order to more clearly describe who we are.
Archives of the Euterpe Club are held by the Brock Museum at Greensboro College.
Graphic courtesy of Lisa Alley.
February 16, 2014
April 27, 2014
March 2, 2014
April 27, 2014